Student Sponsorship Programme - closing date 31 August 2015
The Student Sponsorship Programme (SSP) identifies high potential young people from disadvantaged backgrounds and circumstances and affords them the opportunity to realise their potential in educational centres of excellence during their senior school years.
SSP recruits Grade 6 learners from Gauteng (Johannesburg and Pretoria) and the Eastern Cape (East London and Grahamstown). Successful applicants will be placed in a year-long bridging programme that seeks to improve learners’ abilities in English, Mathematics, Science and Technology. The Scholar Development Programme consists of Saturday classes, academic camps and personal development workshops.
How to Apply:
Grade 6 learners and their parents are required to complete the SSP application form, which will be made available when recruitment opens in June of every year. Those learners who meet the primary criteria as indicated below will be invited to take the SSP Maths and English examinations. Learners who do well in these assessments will be invited, along with their parents, for social and financial interviews to determine eligibility on the basis of commitment, leadership potential, motivation and financial need. Successful candidates will be selected to participate in the Scholar Development Programme during their Grade 7 year.
In order to qualify, applicants should meet all of the following minimum criteria:
- Student must be in Grade 6
- Be 12 years of age or younger at the time of application
- Overall average of 70% or more in Grade 5
- Attain an overall aggregate of 70% or more in Grade 6. Additionally, learners must have attained 70% or above for each of these subjects: Mathematics, Science, and English.
- Be community-service orientated
- Have leadership potential
- Have demonstrable financial need (Financial need – less that R 200 000.00 combined annual family income.)
Eligible applicants need to submit the following documents:
- Completed application form
- Attach copies of the following items to the completed forms:
- Latest term exam report
- Certified copies of the pay slips of both parents/legal guardians If the parents/legal guardians/care-givers are unemployed, an affidavit stating the same must be attached. (Please note that a stamped affidavit must be obtained from the police station) If the child is an orphan, the following documentation must also be attached: both parents’ death certificates, and an affidavit stating that the child is an orphan and documentation of legal guardianship.
- Three – month bank statements of both parents/guardians, where applicable
Gauteng application form: Applications close 31 August 2015
Eastern Cape application forms: Applications close 31 August 2015
Completed application forms can be hand delivered at the following address:
SSP Office at NBC Building
76 Juta Street
Corner De Beer
During office hours (9:00 – 16:00).
PO Box 781097, Sandton 2146
Eastern Cape Tel: +27 43 726 6682
P.O Box 15841. Beacon Bay 5205